Boerne is more than just panoramic Hill Country views and great schools. Though those are certainly big perks, residents know there’s so much more to this little town they call home than meets the eye.
One of the biggest highlights? We can't help but brag about our area's one-of-a-kind small businesses. From unique restaurants and fun mom-and-pop shops to some of the best country outfitters in all of Texas, this city offers up some truly distinctive fare.
Whether you're new to Boerne or a longtime local, here are just a few of the one-of-a-kind small businesses you should become acquainted with:
- Valeria Farm to Table Restaurant – This European-inspired eatery boasts a clean-food menu that’s free of GMOs and completely organic whenever possible. The menus change often, so there’s always something new to try, but wood-fired pizzas, pastas, and various seafood options can usually be found in some form or fashion. There’s also a weekly Spanish cuisine night, and suckling pig feasts are a common occurrence at Valeria – they just require a few days’ notice. This establishment is perfect for a date night, dinner with the family, or even just a few drinks after work with the girls.
- Calamity Jane’s Trading Co. – Looking to change up your décor? Need to furnish your new place? Just want to add a statement piece to your family room? Calamity Jane’s is the place to go. With elegant, rustic furniture you can’t find anywhere else, it’s a one-stop shop for any Hill Country homeowner. You’ll find everything from cowhide-lined sitting chairs to wrought-iron headboards that really make a statement. You can even set up a bridal registry if you’re just about to tie the knot!
- The Creek Restaurant– Another one-of-a-kind restaurant here in Boerne, The Creek is nestled in a historic building along Cibolo Creek. Serving up lunch and dinner dishes all year round, this eatery specializes in five-star seafood options, cooked-to-perfection steaks and burgers, and unique Texas fare like roasted quail. The spot was even honored with OpenTable’s “Diners’ Choice” award in 2015, so you know it’s a local favorite.
- Billy’s Western Wear – Stock up your Hill Country wardrobe over at Billy’s Western Wear, the area’s top spot for cowboy boots, hats, jeans, leather jackets and button-ups. With a men’s, women’s and children’s section, there’s truly something for everyone here.
- Bear Moon Bakery – Whether you’re craving something sweet for after dinner, or you’re looking for a killer brunch, lunch or breakfast dish, Bear Moon Bakery is your answer. In the morning, the biscuits and gravy, fluffy scrambled eggs and homemade corn grits will have your mouth watering. (Tip: at lunch, the chipotle grilled cheese is a must-try!) There’s also fresh fruit, soup, salad and a whole array of healthy fare, and when it’s time to satisfy that sweet tooth, their choices are aplenty. Grab a cream cheese braid, a chocolate cupcake, or a made-from-scratch cookie...or just sit back with a warm latte or cappuccino. Either way, you’ll be a satisfied customer!
- Redbird Retro – For everything throwback, hit up Redbird Retro, where you’ll find vintage and retro relics from eras past. This place offers everything from furniture and plate ware to posters, music, home décor and even collectibles. Located right on Main Street, it’s easy to find and fun to peruse, no matter what your age is.
- Mary’s Tacos – You won’t find better, more affordable Mexican food than at Mary’s Tacos. With homemade, made-from-scratch tortillas, a huge array of fillings and toppings, and low, low prices, this is a regular stop for many Boerne residents. Opt for the breakfast tacos with eggs, potato, bacon, cheese and more, or go for more lunch and dinner fare, like barbacoa, guisada, or steak. The best part? Each taco comes in at right around $2. Who can pass that kind of deal up?
- Boerne Emporium – Love antiquing? Then this is your playground. With three full floors of vintage items, the Boerne Emporium will give you a blast from the past as soon as you enter the doors. You’ll find everything from jewelry and books to instruments, furniture, décor and more. Most salespeople are even willing to negotiate on pricing, so you can get a fair deal on just about anything.
- Ella Blue– Situated right in downtown Boerne, Ella Blue is one of the city’s best spots for women’s fashion. There are shoes, necklaces, belts, jackets, pants, tops and more, and there’s even stuff for the kiddos heading back to school. The best part? It’s super affordable. There’s always a deal or sale going on to save you some cash.
- Wheelers Feed & Outfitters – For the true country resident, Wheelers offers fashion and function. With everything from clothing, jewelry and boots to trailers, livestock feed, home décor, ammo and spurs, there’s something for every Texas rancher here at Wheelers. They even offer horse trailer services and washing, and there’s an archery range and pro shop on site.
- Soda Pops– Known for its amazing burgers and sweet potato fries, this is a down-home eatery everyone will enjoy. There’s cold beer, great food and an outdoor movie theater where you can watch a flick while you eat. Want something sweet after your meal? Head next door to the Sugar Shack, where you’ll find ice cream, bottled soda and homemade malts, just like when you were a kid.
- Dodging Duck – Big on beer? The Dodging Duck brews its very own craft beers and has a whopping six medals from the World Beer Championships. Stop in for a mini beer flight and try some of the Duck’s seasonal offerings, or order something from their full menu, which serves up hearty fare like pretzels, bratwurst, burgers, steaks and more.
- The Silver Queen – Move aside, James Avery: this is the only jewelry store a Boerne resident needs! With handmade artisan pieces you won’t find anywhere else, The Silver Queen is the perfect place to buy a gift for that special someone or find a statement piece for your next night on the town.
The small businesses in Boerne are as unique and one-of-a-kind as the city itself. Do you want more Boerne recommendations or local advice? Contact the expert agents at Keller Williams Boerne today. We’d be glad to help.
Have some other favorite Boerne spots you’d like to share or see added to the list? Post them in the comments!